What is a Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) Test?
Metabolism is the process of converting food (calories) into energy. The efficiency with which your body does this is referred to as your metabolic rate. Many factors affect a person's metabolic rate: weight, age, body composition, hormone levels, and gender making it a highly unique number.
Promoting healthy lifestyles through healthy eating!
Nutrition Solutions is the premier weight loss and health awareness center in the Upstate!
Why Test your Metabolic Rate?
Understanding your body's unique metabolic rate will allow your practitioner to customize your weight loss or maintenance program around your needs.
- It can screen for a slowed metabolism that may explain frustrat ed attempts to lose weight in the past.
- It can reveal changes in your metabolism during the weight loss process that can help trouble shoot a frustrating plateau.
- Once you reach your goal, an RMR measurement can give you the precise caloric prescription for maintenance to help you sustain that goal weight.
How does the test work?
KORR Metabolic Analyzers utilize the same technology as ICU metabolic testing. Because every calorie a person consumes requires a fixed amount of oxygen to be converted to energy, the KORR Analyzer measures the oxygen you consume to calculate calories burned. All of the air exhaled by the patient must be collected to measure oxygen consumption. Two one-way valves in the KORR MetaBreather ensure that only fresh air is inhaled and all exhaled gas passes through the hose and into the machine. A nose-clip ensures that all exhaled air is analyzed.
Preparing for the Test
- 1. You should avoid eating 4 hours before the test.
- 2. Avoid exercising prior to your test.
- 3. If possible, avoid the use of stimulants such as caffeine.
During the Test
- 1. Relax and close your eyes during the test.
- 2. Keep lips sealed lightly around the MetaBreather. It is important that all the air you breathe out is analyzed.
- 3. In just 1O minutes, your metabolic rate will be measured!